Thursday 24 January 2013

#22 Films

Afternoon lovelies

This semester I have a new module on my timetable called 'Cultural Influences'. I've only had one seminar/lecture on this subject so far however I am already finding it very interesting. I'm a bit of a lover of history and all of that, therefore this is right up my street. 


Each week I'll be attending a screening of a film related to my work focus for that week. This week it was Charlie Chaplin's 'Modern Times'. I am a fan of black and white films and usually really enjoy them, however I hadn't watched any silent movies (which this film is) until now. At first I thought it would get a little boring, however I actually found it quite entertaining! 


'Modern Times' also introduced me to the world's first 'It Girl', Pauletter Goddard. I think you'll all agree that she is absolutely beautiful! Throughout the age of silent movies she was a huge star, however when audio was introduced sadly her fame faded due to her high pitched (and slightly annoying - I can imagine) voice. Nice little fact for you there... Haha.  

I also saw 'Les Misérables' last night. I wasn't sure what to expect as I wasn't familiar with the plot, only that it was based somewhat around the French Revolution. There is so much hype around this film so I wasn't sure that it would live up to expectations. It takes a bit of time to get used to all the singing and it definitely isn't to everyone's tastes, however I enjoyed it. I found that it did get a bit boring in places however it wouldn't be long until I was drawn back in again. I felt quite emotional in places and I must confess that a tear or two was let loose at the end... Oh dear. 

I also really want to see 'Django Unchained' so will hopefully watch that later this evening. 

What films have you guys seen recently that you've really enjoyed?

Becmo xo  

No comments:

Post a Comment