Wednesday 23 July 2014

#48 Do It Yourself: Ombré


Good Evening! 

Ombré hair has been one of the things to do to hair for the past couple of years and although it might not be the it craze right now, I still love it. Although I had dabbled with hair dye before I was skeptical of diving into the ombré trend. I didn't want to spend loads of money getting it done at the hairdressers and I was worried about using a packet kit as I'd heard horror stories of blonde hair going disastrously wrong. It wasn't until a friend of mine (Alice) told me that she had tried the L'Oreal Preference Wild Ombres dyeing kit that I decided to give it a go myself- I've since repurchased the kit 4 times! 



How I apply this wonderfully brilliant product
Going by the advice I received from Alice, I never follow the instructions included but do it differently.

Step 1
I start by mixing the dye together, putting on the gloves, wearing something I don't mind bleaching the hell out of and then I sit comfortably in front of a mirror. 

Step 2
Then, I split my hair equally into 2 sections and pull both sections over my shoulders so that I can see them in the mirror in front of me (you don't have to sit in front of a mirror but it makes it easier to see what sections are covered/need more dye).

Step 3
Next I squeeze some dye (roughly the size of a 50p) into my hands and apply it to the very ends of my hair, starting on one side and then repeating the same on the other. I keep adding more and more dye until the bottom 1/2 inches of my hair are covered well. The longer your hair is the higher you might want to go in this part, it all depends on how you want the final effect to look. Once both bottom sections of my hair are covered I take the brush/comb and pull it through the parts containing the dye. I do this to make sure that all hairs are reached and that it is not just the outer layers that are covered. If the dye looks sparse after this step add more. Then, leave the dye for 10 minutes.

Step 4
One the 10 minutes is up get back to the dye and roughly squeeze 2 times the amount of dye as you did before into your hands. This time I cover the areas that are already covered as well as working it through 1/2 inches of hair above that. I use the same method as above to make sure it's all covered well (you don't want to end up like a leopard with odd patches everywhere!). Again, leave this section for 10 minutes and then move on. 

Step 5
This is the final 'dyeing' stage. Once the 10 minutes is up, do exactly the same as before and again, move 1/2 inches further up you hair. I usually aim to stop the dye at chin level. It is probably a good idea to decide where you want it to end before you start, that way you can make sure you're going up in even stages each time. This is the final stage, so to avoid having a blunt line where the colour differs from your natural hair colour, try and blend it in and don't worry about it being straight. 

Step 6
At this point you can go WILD and just whack ALL the rest of the dye on your hair. Sometimes I add a lot more to the tips as I want them to be nice and blonde, but it's all down to personal preference really! Then leave the dye on the hair for a further 20 minutes, or for longer/shorter depending on your desired shade. The first time I used this I was too scared that my hair was going to go bright white so I washed it off a little too early and wasn't that impressed by the results. The second time I'd learnt my lesson and I was persistent in waiting and loved the results! So try not to worry yourself, 40-50 minutes is the perfect time. Finally, just wash it off in the shower and use the conditioning treatment provided and then dry and admire.

I do suggest that you apply lots of friendly hydrating oils to the dyed area, particularly the ends as hair does tend to get quite dry as soon as the dye is applied. After a bit of TLC they'll get back to normal though, don't panic! I would just like to say that I am far from a professional hair stylist, but this method works wonders for me so thought I would share it with you! 

Good luck to any of you that go on to try this!

Becmo 
xo

P.S There are a few different shades on offer, I have mousey brown/light brown hair and have used shade No. 2 each time, however there are lighter/darker kits depending on your hair colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment