Thursday 11 September 2014

#66 Stila 'In The Light' Palette | Review

From left to right: Bare, Kitten, Bliss, Sunset, Sandstone, Bubbly, Gilded Gold, Luster, Night Sky and Ebony
Hello! 

I'd forgotten about these photos so thought it was about time I put them to good use alongside a little review. Now I must admit I'm not usually a huge wearer of eyeshadow as I'm more of a lipstick kind of gal and as I have quite small, hooded eyes eyeshadow can look a little much sometimes. However, recently I've been trying to incorporate it more into my make up looks which means I'm finally getting some good use out of my eyeshadow palettes! 

Stila's In The Light palette (£25) contains 4 matte and 6 shimmer shades so there is a pretty even mix. I tend to reach for the shades across the top row a lot more frequently than the bottom row, although I do also get a lot of use out of 'Bubbly'. There is a pretty good selection of shades and tones within this palette that can easily take a look from day to night, however personally I would have liked to have seen a matte taupe added to the mix. Kitten, Sunset and Bubbly are exactly what I would expect from a 'shimmer' shade, they are very pigmented and the shimmer is very fine without the dreaded chunks of glitter. Kitten and Bubbly are lovely for highlighting the inner corners and brightening up the eye area and Sunset is perfect for a less intense smokey eye. Sadly the other 'shimmer' shades are a little too glittery for me. Whereas the others are more of a shimmer with a hint of colour, the rest are basically a colour that contains shimmer (or more accurately, glitter). Don't get me wrong, they aren't hideous but they aren't really my cup of tea. 
The shade I get the most use out of it most definitely Bare. I use this matte shade daily as a base for my shadow or on it's own if I'm opting for an 'I'm not wearing eyeshadow' look. 

Like most eyeshadows these lose pigmentation throughout the day but they are long lasting, particularly if a primer is used. They are easy to blend and you can create some beautiful looks with the shades provided. No matter what palette you opt for there are always going to be some shades that you reach for more than others, but that's just how it is when you haven't created it yourself. 

As well as 10 eyeshadows this palette also contains a deep brown eyeliner. I haven't got on with this amazingly but I think that is simply down to the fact that I have hooded eyes. When I have used it I've found that it looks best when applied from the pencil then smudged with an angled brush. It's not the smoothest formula so can be a bit tricky to use but it's not the worst eyeliner I've ever tried.

I would probably rate this product a 7/10 overall as the formula, longevity and pigmentation of everything included is great, it's just a shame about the 'glitter' shades and the lack of a taupe toned shade. 

Becmo 
xo



No comments:

Post a Comment